The Betsy Lehman Center fosters a statewide program of research, data analysis, and programming that engages and supports health care agencies, providers, and consumers working together to improve patient safety in care settings across the Commonwealth.
We are a non-regulatory state agency with a legislative mandate to:
- Help state health care agencies and providers work as part of a total system of patient safety and meet their responsibilities to keep patients safe;
- Develop new ways for consumers to be included in a statewide program for improving patient safety;
- Analyze data and research to support patient safety initiatives;
- Administer an education and research program to increase awareness about medical error and error prevention strategies for health care professionals, facilities, agencies, and the general public; and
- Share information about evidence-based practices to enhance patient safety.